Friday, July 20, 2007

Harry Potter attacks downtown Reykjavík



So I’m sitting in the equivalent of a small 24-hour grocery store in downtown Reykjavík, around 10:45pm on a Friday night. "Penny Lane" is playing over the PA system. Usually at this time and day, the downtown core is busy with teenagers and young adults going to bars and clubs, expensive cars cruising the main streets. Usually . . .

Tonight is different, however. There are masses of families, kids, adults, family cars, and a huge line-up at the biggest bookstore downtown, cause Harry Potter’s final volume arrives in about 15 minutes . . . There are also two groups of young people dressed up as wizards, running about, stopping, striking poses and freezing for about five minutes at a time. Some other cars are driving by with people yelling “Geeks” and such at the wizards . . . Oh . . . and I just saw a group of four adults walk through the masses wearing traditional ceremonial Icelandic dress . . . and they all got in the line-up . . . It’s a big Friday night in Reykjavík! And I just came downtown to get some milk and phone home . . . Maybe I'll play some Quidditch before I go home . . .

Attached photos show the wizards, and also the first group of lucky fans RUSHING into the bookstore to get their fresh copies. Note the street sign outside . . .

No comments: