I flew to Copenhagen on Monday and I've been having a great but exhausting time exploring everything I can while I'm here. Time for some sleep now, so this'll be brief. Attached photos show Christiansborg, the royal palace (Denmark has the oldest monarchy in the world, or something like that? Definitely the oldest flag - made/found in the 12th century). This palace was built in the 19th century, but two previous versions were constructed in the 18th and 17th centuries. Both burned to the ground cause of fires in stove pipes. Before that, a fortress was errected here in the 12th century, and there is an archaeological exhibit under the current castle that shows the layers of buildings over 900 years. Very neat.
Canals are all over the place in Copenhagen. Here are some flatwater kayakers! Also some swords at the National Museum here. Sadly the pre-historic section is closed for rennovations, so these are mostly from the 12th century, which is a bit late to appeal to my PhD-tastes, but I still think I can see that the central blade is pattern-welded, which is kind of exciting (for me anyways . . .)
That's it for now. Time for sleep! I'm off to Odense tomorrow. Also visited the Viking Ships Museum in Roskilde yesterday!
No comments:
Post a Comment