Some of my Icelandic relatives moved to southern Denmark, to a town called Svenstrup. I got to visit them briefly for a couple days and it was really really fun and special to see them again (it's been three years since I last saw them). Svenstrup and environs are kind of surprising I think. At first glance it seems like a beautiful and quiet farming area with not much in the way of industrial or commercial development. But then there is Danfoss. Danfoss is a HUGE company with connections all over the world, and they have the Danfoss Universe nearby Svenstrup. This is a sort of technological scientific park and museum where you can play with all sorts of very neat things and learn about how things work by making them work. Very fun. I don't have much time right now, but the photos show the blue cube, with a glacier exhibit inside (with real ice glaciers and a lightning machine and a lava room) and me on a swing machine that moves as you apply force, and then the newest building, Cumulus, named and shaped after the cloud-type, in which you can learn about how the digital world works.
Time for bed now. I'm in Stockholm now. Spent a day in Goteborg yesterday, and will spend another day or so in Stockholm, then go to Uppsala, and then maybe to Finland! Sadly the Viking-Age village and archaeological site named Birka is closed now for the 'winter' season (which is unfair cause it's still sunny and warm and rather summer-like, and I really want to see it, so it should still be open I think!) But I got to see an AMAZING exhibit on medieval archaeological finds today. There was a pattern-welded sword from the Viking Age, which made me very excited. Also LOTS of other iron objects and finds, including the most impressive find of smithing tools from the Viking Age EVER! Very very very exciting place for me, and I spent three hours ONLY in the Viking Exhibit, and only got about half way through it. It is a big place. That's just the one exhibit too. There are many other exhibits in the same museum. I'm going back there tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment